Here are a few shots of the original frame:
I was already using G10 material to create my frames so I kept this for the new build. Than I designed around a two layer system which was reinforced by vertical plates with matching slots. This allows for a strong but lightweight frame while keeping a good structural integrity.
The tail was challenging, I made several drafts but ended up using the same “vertical plate” design in a “V” shape. I also added a reinforcement bar that keeps the assembly together.
Two frame sizes were created keeping the overall frame look and style a 400 and a 500. They shared the same center section but changed arms and tail dimensions to allow for small or large propellers. You can see here the differences between the two frames.
Bledi was happy with the new frame design and so was I. I then started to produce the frame for anyone interested through forums, making them individualy at home on my own CNC under the DiaLFonZo-Copter brand. Later on, the demand was becoming too high and I switched to an outside source for cutting.
Some pictures of the original frame i’ve cut:
In 2013, I joined the RobotShop team as leader of our Lynxmotion UAV line. The VTail frames were therefore added to the new line of Lynxmotion products.
Thanks for reading..!
Note: The VTail configuration is supported by the MultiWii project as well as some others like KK boards. It’s a less efficient configuration than a symetric quadcopter but will handle more like a Tricopter with a lot of Yaw potential. Best for sport flying.
The original link: http://letsmakerobots.com/node/45213