pcDuino3s can be used as the terminal for desktop virtualization application. In another post, we explained the steps taken to install SPICE client on pcDuino3s. In this post, we are going to take you through the process used to install the server part of SPICE on a CentOS 6.4 server. In a separate post, we will explain the steps installing SPICE server on another flavor of Linux server: Ubuntu.
VIRT-MANAGER is an advanced virtual manchine mangement tool. In this post, we will introduce how to install KVM and use VIRT-MANAGER to create virtual machines and manage them.
- Install system toolset
- Create virtual machine using VIRT-MANAGER
- Use pcDuino3S to connect to SPICE server
We should have the following ready:
1. CentOS 6.4 Desktop
2. Check if the CPU has VT function:
#cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vmx #cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep svm
If there are vms or svm in the flags, that means that the CPU has the VT function.
The above is the screen shot of our sever. It has vmx, so that means the CPU supports VT function.
3. Reboot the server, and enter into BIOS, select ‘CPU information’ in the menu ‘Advance’, and select to enable ‘Virtual Technology’.
1. Install tools:
#yum install -y qemu-kvm libvirt virt-manager
2. Tools installed successfully.
The following screen shot will indicate a successful installation.
3. Copy all the images files needed for the installation of virtual machine.
Note: WindowsX.iso is the ISO file of windows system. wirtio.-wind.x.iso is the driver for hard disk. Please find it in the download section of this post.
#cp /media/Windows7_dvd_x86.iso /home; #cp /media/virtio-win-0.1-74.iso /home; #qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o size=20G /home
1. Launch Virt-manager, and input ‘virt-manager’:
2. Create a virtual machine:
3. Name the virtual machine, and select to install system from local disk:
4. Choose memory and CPU core number:
5. Select the image:
6. Configure virtual machine before proceeding forward:
7. Add hardware:
8. Add IDE CD-ROM, and load the iso image of hard disk driver:
9. Change the format to be qcow2:
10. Proceed into system installation:
11. Select driver for hard disk:
12. Install the system of virtual machine into this disk:
13. Turn off the virtual machine after the windows installation is finished. Start to configure the setting of virtual machine, and delete the 3 IDE CD-ROMS and ‘Display VNC’. It can be done by click ‘Removing’.
14. Add device ‘Graphics’, and change the model to be ‘Spice server’, and then click ‘Apply”:
15. Change the model of video to be ‘qxl’, and the model of network card to be ‘virtio’:
16. Reboot the virtual machine and then install the drivers for display and network card:
On pcDuino3s, open a LX terminal and enter the following command:
$spice -h xx.xx.xx.xx -p 59xx
In the above command, xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP of the server, and 59xx is the port number.
The AC97 sound driver and disk driv driver image can be downloaded from: